Friday, February 1, 2008

Latest Drawing in Progress



I'm currently working on a velvety tulip variety called 'Black Hero'. As there is so much black in the picture I'm working from-I feared it may start to look 'flat' on the page. So I decided to build up the dark areas with maroons and navy which gives a velvety effect, later adding black and/or maroon penwork. It's certainly true that if you stare at an object long enough, you start to see many colours in it. For example, it took me about 12 hours (not in one sitting of course...that would be scary) to come to the realisation that there is pale blue in the lightest parts of each petal. The challenge now is to finish the outer petals particularly the bottom ones and decide whether to leave the background as it is-or go to town with it! Still unsure.

9 comments:

BWK Art said...

I am blown away by the beauty of the piece, Susannah. It's utterly gorgeous! So realistic, like I can just reach out and touch it.

All of your work is beautiful, but I have to say this is my favorite. I love it's depth!

I'm sure it would remind my husband of the 'motherland' - Holland!

Susannah Coleman-Brown said...

I'm so glad!! That's why I'm tempted to leave the background white-because it really does seem complete somehow...
Thanks so much.

Aria Images said...

I have to agree with Bev. The first thing I thought of when I saw your work was "Wow, I am blown away!" Do you have an Etsy shop? Do you sell your work anywhere? Its fabulous.

Susannah Coleman-Brown said...

Hi Melody, yep I have an etsy shop:www.drawingsofflora.etsy.com where I'm selling giclee prints of my work (sale on at the moment!) and I have an exhibition in Tasmania-though the originals are proving difficult to move. I will most likely post them on etsy when the show is over (late Feb.). Your photos are lovely by the way.Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Susannah Coleman-Brown said...

Hi Melody, yep I have an etsy shop:www.drawingsofflora.etsy.com where I'm selling giclee prints of my work (sale on at the moment!) and I have an exhibition in Tasmania-though the originals are proving difficult to move. I will most likely post them on etsy when the show is over (late Feb.). Your photos are lovely by the way.Thanks so much for your encouragement!

Jacqueline said...

Wow Susannah! This one is beautiful. What kind of background would you use if you were to add one?

Susannah Coleman-Brown said...

Hi jac, I was thinking of a really pale background using a light grey-lead pencil and drawing a repeating pattern-for example a paisley wallpaper design or something. So it adds a reall soft but interesting texture. But-I don't know. I'll just keep at the bloom for now and toss up ideas as I go.

Jacqueline said...

Sounds beautiful Sus! You will know when you get there :)

Claire said...

its different, its unusual, i looiike it!
ur work is extraordinary,im truly impressed by every piece u 'whip' up.keep up the good work sis!
Peace.